Sunday, August 30, 2009

WYNTER GORDON INTERVIEW

If you haven't heard of Wynter Gordon, then you must be living under a rock (or don't have internet access, her online hype is huge!). She's wrote songs for Jennifer Lopez, Mary J. Blige, Adrienne Bailon and many others. She's been on amazing songs by Flo-Rida ("Sugar") and David Guetta ("Toyfriend"). She's very talented; she writes her own songs and she can belt like crazy! She's pretty much all around amazing.



I recently had the opportunity to do an interview with her (thanks, Keith!) in which she reveals alot of information, not only on her much anticipated project, but also the latest albums by J. Lo and former Cheetah Girl/3LW member Adrienne Bailon. Remember, this is an exclusive interview. If you use any info, credit us! Here goes:


Q1: "Surveillance" is an amazing song. I remember reading on your MySpace you shot a video for it. Will we ever see the video? Will the song be on the album?
A: We actually never shot a video for that song. Unfortunately, just as we were about to put that song out and go full steam ahead, we had a major A&R overhaul at my label and everything got put on hold. By the time we re-grouped, that sound was old and alot of people had stuff out that sounded really similar. My manager still decided to service it and leak it himself (which is why you may have heard it get some moderate radio spins) but we wanted to move forward sonically.

Q2: How was it like working with:
David Guetta: Amazing energy and just loves music! Nothing like it at all.
Flo-Rida: Really cool and mellow guy. Into his craft and perfecting his skill.
Jennifer Lopez: She is amazingly smart and intelligent. She's beautiful and she smells like she just walked down from heaven...no really! lol. J-Lo is the realest famous person you can meet and she really was honest with me and gave me some really great life lessons. We spent a few days talking and thats how I was able to write for her album, by personalizing her life lessons.
D'Mile: D is my musical soul-mate. We make magic happen together and he's the best producer in the game.

Q3: Is it true you worked with Adrienne Bailon and Danja?
A: I worked with Adrienne Bailon but never worked with Danja. I wrote a record that Danja produced that's going on J-Lo's album called "Starting Over." It's an amazing track and song but I wrote it alone, Brandon Creed (JLo's A&R) just sent me the track and booked a studio for me to write and record it alone though.
Adrienne Bailon is a sweetheart and she cut one of my records "Love is Long." I'm not sure if it's going to be on her album or what's happening with the song but she did a great job with it. She's really dope and I know she's about to do really big things.

Q4: I noticed that most of your material is R&B driven, but yet you flirted with an electro/club sound on the 'Trouble With Wynter' mixtape and 'Toyfriend'. Which style can we expect from the album?
A: I think most of my stuff is vocally driven as opposed to R&B driven. "Trouble with Wynter" was Mike Caren's idea and he wanted me to be cooler and hipper than most of my counterparts. His goal is to see me be 10 years ahead of my competition sonically because he thinks my talent warrants that. The album is going to be dance/pop/vocal gymnastics!!! It's sounding like something really futuristic but since I can sing it doesnt really require too much auto-tune. Q5: Who, or what, influences you?

A: Jesus Christ influences me to strive to be a better person everyday. God inspires me to sing. Beyonce inspires me to perform. Rihanna inspires me to be me and take risks. Cassie inspires me to be beautiful. Mary J. Blige inspires me to grow. I have alot of influences I guess lol!


Q6: Did you always want to be a singer?

A: Always.

Q7: There are alot of rumors on the net. What's really going on with your label refusing to release your music? We're confused.
A: Yeah it's been tough waiting for them to make a move. We've had more than a few A&R changes. We've had directional shifts with every move which requires new songs, etc. I'm at a place now where I place all of my trust in God and basically ignore the promises made by men. Thank God, Atlantic still spends alot of money on me and places me in great situations...the only thing I'm waiting on now is for them to get behind a single (which actually is coming in September).

Q8: "What Is Love" is a beautiful song. What inspired you to write it? Will we ever hear your version?

A: The record company wanted me to write a love song and my personal history has always been about my search for love. So I wrote "What is Love?" It was going to be my single, then my A&R's left again and I was in limbo at the label. We ended up selling the record to J-Lo for her album. I don't think my version will ever be released.

Q9: Are there any duets on the album? Who would you like to duet with?

A: I did a record with Ryan Tedder from "One Republic" and that's it right now.

Q10: Have you decided on a first single or an album title yet? When can we expect to hear it?

A: The album is self-titled. The first single may be a song called "Hey Love" written by Rico Love and produced by Fraser T. Smith but we won't make the final decision on the single until Sept. 9th.

Q11: You shot a video for "Renegade", right? What's it for?
My managers wanted to add a visual to the mixtape so we shot a viral video for "Renegade."

Q12: Who helped you on your musical journey? Who noticed your talent and helped you every step of the way?
Alot of people helped me. All the boys that broke my heart. All the girls that made fun of me because I couldn't afford to dress nice. All the boys that were nice to me and I broke their hearts. All the homeless people that shared their stories with me. All of my life experiences helped me become who I am today and helped me tell the stories I get to tell, whether through my music or the music of artists that I write for. My manager Keith White noticed my potential very early on and has championed for me all the way to now. Don Pooh believed in me when it was just me and Keith. Paul Parris believed in me and co-signed me to Don Pooh. Sickamore believed in me enough to make me the first artist he signed to Atlantic. Shani Gonzales believed in me enough to sign me to a Publishing deal at Warner/Chappell. Alot of people signed on and helped me through the way.

Q13: Any message to the fans?
I just want to thank anyone who has heard or thought about me in a positive way. This music business can be a rough place but when someone shows you that they love you or your music, it makes it all worth the while. Thank you very much and stay tuned because my journey is just beginning.

CREDIT FOR THE PICTURES GOES TO WYNTER GORDON'S OFFICIAL MYSPACE. IF YOU USE ANY OF THE INFORMATION IN THIS INTERVIEW ON YOUR SITE, CREDIT SUPERdanceELECTROpopMAGIC.

THANKS TO KEITH WHITE AND WYNTER GORDON!

No comments:

Post a Comment